Craving something light and delicious? Try this yummy mango salad to kick your winter blues!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
3 tbsp. fish sauce, or 4 tbsp. coconut aminos
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp. honey or to taste
1 to 2 tsp. Thai chili sauce, or substitute 1/3 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili (chili flakes)
1/4 cup dry shredded unsweetened coconut
2 firm unripe mangoes (mangoes may be green or red-orange in color)
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 to 4 spring onions, sliced
1 cup cooked chicken or shrimp, optional
1 fresh-cut red chili, optional
A handful of nuts or seeds, left whole or roughly chopped
1/3 cup fresh basil
Want want a salad to fulfill your wild side? Check out this delicious dragon fruit salad.
- Mix together all the salad dressing ingredients in a bowl or cup. Set aside.
- Place coconut in a dry frying pan or wok. Stir the coconut, 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat until it turns a light golden-brown and is fragrant. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Using a sharp paring knife, peel the skin from mangoes. The flesh of the mango should be firm and light yellow-orange.
- Using a medium to large-size grater, grate the flesh of the mangoes into a mixing bowl.
- Add the bean sprouts, coriander, spring onions, cooked chicken, or shrimp (if using), the fresh-cut chili (if using), plus half the toasted coconut. Toss well to combine.
- Add the dressing and toss again. Do a taste-test–add more fish sauce/aminos or honey if needed. If too salty or sweet, add more lime juice.
- Place on a serving platter. Sprinkle the nuts, basil and remaining toasted coconut over the top.