“Stop! Do not exercise.” Nothing was sweeter than the moment I heard those first words from Eric Edmeades.
You see I made a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, binging in shame when I ultimately failed and then punishing my body with jumping jacks, crunches and butt kicks. It was no wonder this dysfunctional cycle put exercise at the absolute bottom of my to do list.
It’s been a long road.
If my 32yr old self could talk to the person I was at 15 years old, kneeling in front of the toilet… the person staring into the mirror with angry tears at all the parts of herself that weren’t thin enough and definitely not good enough, I would tell that 15 year old self that I’ve finally found a better way, a way to live in harmony with food and that it’s all going to be ok.
I want to share with you how I got to where I am today: in a loving, healthy relationship with my body and living with true food freedom.
My story is not so different than most. From the time I was a teen every time I lost weight I would re-gain it (plus more). Usually I would lose consciousness at the precise moment a triggering life event would occur. Divorce, infertility, mandatory time off work for mental health and perhaps most disappointing of all miscarriage had me in a bitter cycle of forced weight loss always followed by greater weight gain. I ate to soothe my feelings. I ate more on the days I felt depressed. My whole world revolved around what I would bake, make or snack on through the day (and night) but nothing was ever enough. As soon as I ate one thing I started obsessing about what I could eat for the next snack/meal/day.
It wasn’t until 2018 that I hit my rock bottom.
I found myself living in a body so bloated, sore and constantly exhausted it didn’t feel like mine. I had massive mood swings, hip/knee pain, Candida overgrowth, sleep apnea, mystery rashes, severely painful clogged sinuses, blurred vision from migraines, depression and according to BMI charts I was well above morbid obesity. I weighed 272lbs a month after giving birth to my son. I have never felt so completely numbed out and disconnected from my body.
A few months later I learned about the high-fat/low-carb dieting trend also known as Keto diet from a family member. I went on to shed 75lbs over 18months but despite all that action I knew something was missing. I feared the boomerang of returning weight. How long could I really hold out until giving into my cravings and turning back to my favourite comfort foods. Every time I thought about food my anxiety grew as I wondered would I become a statistic of weight regain yet again “…95% of dieters regain their lost weight within 1-5 years”. I wondered if this diet was going to be sustainable for me.
Then, in the beginning of 2020, life as I knew it shifted forever.
I started the WildFit Quest via Mindvalley in February 2020. At the time, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into, just a strong gut feeling that there had to be a better way. A way to release the stuck weight forever, gain freedom from my thoughts about food and eventually found a healthy way to move my body in a way that feels good to me.
My top 3 takeaways for permanent natural weight release and optimal health:
– Nutritional hunger is actually only one of kind of hunger. According to Eric Edmeades there are also 5 other hungers. These other 5 hungers are the biggest reason why I craved food endlessly… once I knew all six (and how to deal with them effectively) I wasn’t tricked anymore and you won’t be either.
– ‘Everything in moderation’ will lead to a moderate level of health. Don’t be fooled like I was by this popular concept. Arsenic is naturally occurring, organic even, but a moderate amount would still be toxic to us. Identifying the real reason I wanted to eat something was far more empowering than indulging on a bit of everything and still feeling like I missed out.
– The Keto diet isn’t ideal or indefinitely sustainable – not in my experience or that of many of my friends anyways. The recently popularized Keto diet or Ketogenic diet typically includes carb counting and consists largely of dairy, nuts, sugar alcohols/sweetener substitutes, cauliflower and of course bacon. On Keto I found myself frequently sabotaging my weight loss, falling off the wagon and/or obsessing about making the latest non-sugar sweet treat. Not only that, but much of the high-fat/low-carb diet foods I was eating were actually not as healthy as I thought. WildFit taught me how to eat the foods that were most natural for my body – in an incredibly simple, cyclical and sustainable way.
But why should you believe me? What’s so special about WildFit?
Believe me, I get it. I spent years gaining weight, losing weight, drinking expensive juice, losing weight and then regaining it all again plus more. I spent years fighting disordered eating, finding little glimmers of hope before disappointingly relapsing into a food coma. Despaired and numb. This isn’t like that, it’s actually like nothing else I’ve ever experienced before. WildFit didn’t just show me how to release weight permanently it showed me how to connect with my emotions and feel deep love for myself. It showed me how to show up as a person. WildFit gave me everything I needed week by week and together with Mindvalley a supportive tribe was created. Our tribe was really the best part about this experience because I learned from and leaned on the most incredible people. Especially due to the Pandemic, my Tribe became my second family. I also owe deep gratitude to our incredibly knowledgeable coaches and ambassadors who gave 100%. In short WildFit gave me a level of food freedom (and even a desire to move my body) that I never believed possible, until now.
My quality of life has greatly improved as a result of taking the WildFit challenge and here are just some of my biggest wins:
During the WildFit 90 day challenge:
– I released 20lbs and 19inches – forever.
– I breathed clearer through my nose than ever before
– I started singing and feeling happy – on a daily basis, no more major mood swings even during PMS
– my hair (especially eyebrows) grew in thicker & darker
– the thrush on my tongue (a symptom of Candidas overgrowth) disappeared and I had a “clean tongue” for the first time in my life!
– the purply-blue varicose veins on my legs faded significantly
– I haven’t snored in months
– my feet have actually gotten a size smaller
– My overall energy is greatly improved
– My quality of sleep is greatly improved and on the nights I don’t get much sleep (from taking care of a teething toddler) I can still cope the next day
– My ability to taste the flavour of my food is massively enhanced
– My family’s wellbeing has also improved, my husband released over 15lbs and 20 inches doing the program along side me and my children now ask for vegetables and fruits as snacks.
If you’re wondering what WildFit could do for you. Don’t wait. In the words of Martin Luther King Jr “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step”.